Toronto Waldorf School
PURPOSE/SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
The School Nurse will be responsible for providing health care and first aid to students, faculty and staff, be instrumental in supporting the implementation of COVID-19 infection prevention and control protocols and guidelines, and serve as a resource for staff and parents as they navigate these unprecedented times.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in an educational environment, a genuine passion for nursing while demonstrating care, concern and empathy, as well as education and experience in areas that include infectious diseases, cleaning, and disinfection, data collection and trend analysis, reporting protocols, and outbreak management who will coordinate the Infection Prevention and Control Program.
The School Nurse will document and audit infections, coordinate educational in-services to prevent and control the spread of infection and liaise with Public Health and other related agencies.
The selected candidate will report to the Board of Directors.
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
· Experience in a related position within an educational setting
· Strong interpersonal skills enhanced by a friendly and pleasant demeanor
· Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
· Task oriented with an ability to manage multiple tasks and anticipate needs
· Good organizational skills
· Ability to work in a manner that ensures best practices in confidentiality standards
· Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
· Good standing with College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) and Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO)
· Knowledge of principles of infection prevention and control, and evidence-based practices, cleaning, disinfection, data collection, trend analysis, reporting protocols and outbreak management
· Provide emergency first aid or health care to ill or injured students, and determine if additional care is required (e.g. doctor, admission to Health Centre, hospital care)
· Valid Standard First Aid with adult/child/CPR
· Knowledge of all relevant legislation and regulations (e.g. the Health Discipline Act, Occupational *Health and Safety Act, FIPPA) and ability to adhere to legislated safety requirements
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND SPECIFIC STANDARDS / RESULTS
· Support delivery of programs to promote student health and well-being
· Support implementation and review of COVID-19 infection prevention and control protocols
· Provide health care and first aid to students and staff, as needed, and oversee medication administration
· Support the day-to-day operations
· Responsible for the preparation and maintenance of the health room by ensuring there is a stock of supplies and also maintaining first aid supplies/defibrillators
· Communicate regularly with parents, staff (teaching and non-teaching), students and outside agencies (e.g., Public Health) regarding health and safety issues
· Assist with and follow-up on student and staff accidents, injuries, and emergencies
· Oversee the prevalent medical condition plans and medications for students (e.g., anaphylaxis, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy)
· Meet with parents and teachers to develop Individualized Response Plans for students who have been injured or have medical needs that will affect their day-to-day routines at school; share this information with relevant faculty and staff
· Meet with staff members to develop Individualized Response Plans for themselves if they have been injured or have medical needs that will affect their day-to-day routines at school; share this information with relevant faculty and staff as required
· Ensure that all medical information for students and staff is updated regularly and shared when needed
· Monitor immunizations, manage communicable diseases, oversee some aspects of infection control measures, and coordinate first aid training for staff members
· Support some school-wide events, where applicable, and serve as a consultant for other school professionals to help optimize health and safety
· Engage in ongoing professional development, and share that learning, to support achievement of the mission
· Sit as an active member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee
· Attend student concern meetings, as required
COMPENSATION & HOURS:
Hours of work will be from 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday. Includes health, dental and RSP benefit.
Please send resumes by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to
Toronto Waldorf School
9100 Bathurst Street, Suite 1
Attention: Staffing Committee
Application deadline: April 26, 2021. We thank all candidates in advance. We will contact only those selected for an interview.